We'll signpost you to some great resources to help you with benefits during this time.


It can be difficult to find the information you need around benefits. On this page, we help you find useful resources and advice.

Simply click on the buttons to be taken to the resource guides. 

The council is aware that many businesses are not making the most of the support that is there for them.

If you occupy business premises in Monmouthshire with a rateable value of £12,000 or less, or you are a retail, leisure or hospitality business with a rateable value of £12,001 to £51,000 you should be registering for a business grant NOW. A number of those who have successfully registered are already in receipt of the funds. Unless you fill in the online form, you will not receive the help you could be eligible for.

If you come under the Small Business Rates Relief, and you currently don’t pay business rates, you are still eligible to register for the grants.

The grants of £10,000 and £25,000 (which will not need to be paid back) will be administered by Monmouthshire County Council and registrations will be processed as soon as possible, subject to checking.

Welsh Government business grants are available in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, but it is estimated that up to 2,000 potentially eligible firms in Monmouthshire are yet to fill in the online registration form.

These grants will not automatically be paid to you. We need your details, so register online.

Step 1: check eligibility 

Step 2: register here 

The Welsh Government also has announced further financial support for businesses not covered by these grants.

For more details and other available support, visit:

Universal credits

Some useful information and advice about claiming universal credits. 

Universal credit

Universal Credit is available for people who are out of work or on a low household income (this can be worked out using this benefits calculator), aged over-18 and under pension age, and have less than £16,000 in household savings.

You are also eligible if you have Covid-19 or are self-isolating at home and are out of work.

Self-employed people are also eligible for UC, providing they meet the usual eligibility criteria.

Individuals who are waiting for help from the Government's Self-employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) – which provides a grant to self-employed individuals from June – may still be eligible to apply for UC.

However self-employed people may need to pay back UC benefits, once they receive the taxable grant from the scheme.

This page provides information about coronavirus and claiming benefits. It will continue to be updated. Please check this page regularly for updates on the arrangements the Department for Work and Pensions is making to support those who are affected by coronavirus.

Read more 


Government advice

Coronavirus – what it means for you and what you’re entitled to

The spread of coronavirus, also called COVID-19, in the UK and across the world could have implications for your work, benefits and travel plans. These resources look at your rights to sick pay, what benefits you can claim if you’re self-employed or not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

Support for those affected by COVID-19 Grants for self-employed 

Support for businesses Money Advice Service's guide 

Please sign in or register

Search activities

Search activities   |   Search members

Advanced search


Search members

Search activities   |   Search members   |  

Advanced search


Search project teams

Search activities   |   Search members   |   Search project teams

Search guide pages

Search activities   |   Search members   |   Search guide pages

Advanced search


Search Our Monmouthshire